Valentines day... (groan) whether your someone who loves it or detests it, its here. Some people go to a lot of effort and some little or none. I made this Morroccan inspired salad to be a cheeky side dish that is quick, yet interesting enough to stand proud on a dinner table. V-day doesnt have to be about your 'other half', it can be about your family and friends who are just as important. Whoever you make it for (including yourself) you can personalise it by adding ingredients you/ they/ he/ she love such as mint leaves, spices, different nuts etc.......you catch my drift.
Serves 4 people
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 50g toasted almonds
- 1 orange
- half lemon
- olive oil
- 1 small chilli, finely sliced
- salt & pepper
- Place the grated carrots in a bowl along with the chopped coriander.
- Take the orange, cutting it in half, use one half to segment into small pieces and add to the carrot salad. Use the other half for juicing to make the dressing.
- To make the dressing; juice half the lemon and add this to the juiced orange, add the chilli and a drizzle of honey along with olive oil, salt & pepper to season.
- At this point you can sprinkle the almonds (or any nuts you prefer or have to hand i.e pine nuts, walnuts, pecans etc) and dress the salad, thoroughly combing all ingredients.
N.B: This dish goes well with Harissa baked aubergines topped with spiced mincemeat & yoghurt or chickpea & tahini sauce if your a veggie.